A vegetable filled tamale pie with corn bread crust.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian seasoning (optional)
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained, not rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes,diced (grape tomatoes are nice)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- cornbread batter
Heat onions in 1/2 cup water, when onions become translucent add seasoning, diced carrots, red bell peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt to taste. Cook combined ingredients for 10 minutes.
In large mixing bowl combine all 3 kinds of beans, tomatoes, green chiles, tomato paste and 1 cup water. Mix into bowl ingredients from saute pan.
Spoon vegetable mixture into 9 x 13 baking pan or two pie pans.
Corn Bread Crust
- egg replacer for 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup lite soy milk
- 1/2 cup agave syrup (to cover applesauce taste)
- 1/4 cup baby applesauce
- 2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat or soy flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In one bowl mix egg replacer, soy milk, agave syrup and applesauce.
In second bowl mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
Combine wet ingredients from bowl one into bowl two dry ingredients.
Let mixture stand for 5 minutes (mixture will puff up).
Spoon the cornbread mixture evenly onto the base mixture in the 9 x 13 baking pan or pie pans.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until top of bread is golden brown.