Cannellini Stuffed Potatoes
Recipe by Zel Allen from Vegetarians in Paradise http://www.vegparadise.com
May 13, 2013
Wholesome, delicious, and ultra-convenient, this is a perfect make-ahead main dish you can prepare in advance and reheat at 350 degrees F. for about 20 to 25 minutes. If you're an intrepid spice enthusiast, go all out for the chipotle pepper powder--it adds such a fun kick and turns the potatoes into an anticipated dining experience.
Yield: 6 servings
6 Russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 pound tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon red miso
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 medium tomato, sliced, slices cut in half
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and put the potatoes on a baking pan. Bake the potatoes for 50 to 60 minutes, or until soft when gently squeezed. Set the potatoes aside to cool and lower the heat to 350 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, put the tomatoes on a baking pan, cut side up, and broil 3 inches from the heat source for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once while broiling.
3. Put the cannellini beans in a food processor, along with the onions, garlic, lemon juice, miso, liquid smoke, chipotle pepper, if using, and pepper and set aside.
4. When the tomatoes are broiled, add them to the ingredients in the processor and pulse-chop until combined, but still a bit chunky.
5. When the potatoes are soft, cut them open, and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Add the bean and tomato mixture and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the potato shells, using it all and heaping it very high. Top each potato with a half slice of tomato.
6. Return the stuffed potatoes to the oven and warm them for 25 to 30 minutes. Arrange the potatoes on a serving platter and garnish with the sprigs and minced parsley.
The optional chipotle pepper powder adds a lively touch of spice. If you shy away from spicy dishes, leave it out and the stuffed potatoes will still be very delicious.