Red Lentil Dal (made in a slow-cooker)
1 pound carrots
1 red onion
2 red bell peppers
4 cloves garlic
1 cup red lentils
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bunch scallions (green onions)
1. Chop carrots into 1-inch pieces. Chop onion and tomato. Slice bell peppers. Mince garlic.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of water. Add carrots, onion, tomato, bell peppers, and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
3. Rinse and drain lentils and pick through for any debris.
4. Combine carrots, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, lentils, water, cumin, no-salt seasoning, dried oregano, turmeric, ground ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper in a slow-cooker. Stir to combine. Set to low and cook for on low for at least 5 hours or until lentils and carrots have softened.
5. Top with chopped scallions. As an option, serve over cooked brown rice or fresh salad greens.